Ian Barillas -Chapter 8. When to call it quits.

Ian (37), Mary (36) their children : Darcy (Ian+Debbie's child) (11), Sayra (6)
Narrated by Ian.
Ian Barilla Chapter 8
It was so late when I got home. Time literally ran away from me. Anna was getting too clingy. She said she wanted for us to be exclusive. In other words she wanted me to leave Mary. I thought about it the whole way home and I think I am beginning to realize that I need to grow up. When will my time with these women end?
I was going to just lay down and think when Mary woke up and looked at me. She looked at me like she has never done before. "There is something on the table for you. Ian I have accepted a lot but my patience is over. I don't want Sayra looking at the presents you get from your tramps" I did not know what to say so I went to the kitchen wondering what it could be.
Ian Barilla Chapter 8
I was so upset when I saw the dozen roses. I had no idea who they could be from because I started seeing another girl along with me seeing Anna. I grabbed the card and to my horror they were from Anna. The card read, "to a new beginning for us. I am waiting for you at home". My mind raced as I tried to see if the card had been opened or not. It looked sealed prior to me opening it. I tore the card up into a million pieces and swore never to see Anna again. What is it with women and sending me flowers. I headed back to bed to sleep and hopefully come up with a strategy on how to keep Mary and give up Anna and the other women.
Ian Barilla Chapter 8
I slipped into bed and right when I was dozing off Mary said, "I know what that card says. You tend to forget that is the way I broke the news of us to Debbie. You can call it Karma but it still hurts. Ian if you do not fix this then I will. I will leave you and take Sayra with me. I did not expect this to happen to us." With that she fell asleep and let me lie there thinking of what to do.
Ian Barilla Chapter 8
A few days went by and finally Mary was ready to talk. We talked about our relationship and what it meant for both of us. She said she had been waiting to get engaged and I never proposed. I just was not ready. We are so financially broke due to my divorce settlement and she wants a ring? She got up upset because I told her that at this moment marriage was not possible for us. We had too many issues to just say ,"I do".
Ian Barilla Chapter 8
Marcos came over to see me and to discuss how we could help Brianna. I thought this was Simon's job since he is the legacy leader but he is out of the country and unable to come back in such short notice. I agreed that we would take Taylor and Isaiah and have them hang out with our kids. Marcos also asked me how my relationship with Mary was going. I told him what had happened and he was disappointed, "if you don't fix your problems Ian your never going to be able to be happy. What is wrong? It seems that you were only faithful to Debbie and then it all went downhill".
*******
Ian Barilla Chapter 8
I had Marcos, Renee, Brianna and her kids over for dinner. Mary did not feel too much like hosting but I told her to relax and I would take care of everything. I looked around the table and realized that it had been a long time since we were kids. Now everyone is married except me. I do love Mary but I am not ready to commit. Is that such a bad thing? It is if you look around this table. I caught Mary looking at me and I could tell she was thinking about our conversations about staying together or separating.
Ian Barilla Chapter 8
Sayra and Taylor had met before but did not have a great opportunity to play. Now they were fast becoming friends and I was glad.
Ian Barilla Chapter 8
When it was time to say goodbye I made sure to give Brianna a tight squeeze. I wanted her to know that if she needed anything that I was there for her.
*****
Ian Barilla Chapter 8
Mary came home one day and her looked had changed so much. I thought it was too drastic but she told me that she needed something new something now. She also needed to know what was my decision of our relationship. I sat her down and told her that we should start going out on dates and refresh our relationship. She thought it was a cop out and went to the bedroom.
Ian Barilla Chapter 8
I managed to get her to go on a date with me. It was hard work but at least she said yes.
Ian Barilla Chapter 8
"Is there anything wrong with your food Mary?"
"No. Ian, why are you with me if you cheat on me so much? I know its more than one. I just need to know why? Is it because I put up with it?"
"NO Mary. I just. Look when I met you I was so bored in my marriage to Debbie. I needed space, I did not want to grow up so fast. I had 3 kids at age 30. It was too much too fast between Debbie and I. Remember I got married at 17. Can you imagine? Debbie was 27 and it was too soon too fast. Look at me. I barely have a high school diploma and I am lucky to have the job that I have but I feel..."
"Ian you grew up too fast. I get it. But why be with me?"
"The truth? I went with you because you were pregnant with Sayra. I was raised to face my responsibilities. I love you. I grew to love who you really are. I just needed to realize that I need to be with you"
"Be with me Ian? What because I have your daughter?"
We ate the rest of the meal in silence. I paid the check and we were on our way home.
Ian Barilla Chapter 8
"Look Ian. I think there is a lot you need to think about and I think its best that its without me in it."
"Mary we can work things out. I promise"
"No. you always promise and a few months later we are back to square one. I want Sayra to grow up with you and with me as a family. I think we need space to think. Unlike you I dont want to act irrationally so I will take my time. For now if you want to date then date."
"Mary I dont want that"
"No I think you dont want me to do to you what you have been doing to me. Lets go home Sayra must be waiting"

Ian Barilla Chapter 8
Dinner did not go as planned. I got up early and gave Sayra her cereal. I looked at my daughter and wondered what she would do when she realizes her mom and I are separating. It hurts me to think it but Mary might be right.

No comments: