Melody Sofia Barillas

Melody Sofia, age 19
Parents: Oscar Simon II and Brandi Barillas
melodych1
Here is a picture of Melody when she entered college. She managed to get a makeover but she only wished that she could make over her shyness. At home she was used to being outspoken but here on a huge campus with other people? She didnt know how she was going to handle it. "Heres to new beginnings" she thought to herself.
Freshman year, 1st semester:
melodych1b
One good thing was that the cafeteria was easy to find. Sure there were not that many choices but food was food. She sat down next to some girls. One of them had spikey hair and who knows what she was thinking when she got dressed. Her name is Frances Charvat. Interesting enough she is an English major hoping to some day teach high school. Go figure. The girl next to her in brown, her name is Jill Walter. She like myself is an undeclared major. Its funny how everyone is undeclared. I mean coming from a place where we are told what to do to this? I guess this would naturally be the next step in the road to adulthood.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
melodych1c
Alright the first class Melody attended will teach her how to draw from miniture to real scale plans for construction. Melody didnt want to take this class but eventually she decided to just go ahead and sign up for it. She was not expecting that her professor would be so hands on. So far she could tell that he was really dedicated in getting all his students in the profession of architecture.
melodych1d
Doing homework assignments were stressful. It seemed that everytime I managed to get settled and study there was something else on my mind. Melody needed to review since Finals were this week and she needed to get good grades.
Melody received A+ for her first semester. She found college was easier than she first expected.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Freshman Year, 2nd semester:
melodych1e
Yes finally she was able to get her hands on doing some robotics. While others were busy building robotic machines...she started making a baby robot for her baby brother. These were the times she missed her family the most. She could not wait until the break to leave for home a couple of days. She needed to be surrounded by her family. She was in deep thought when she noticed a guy next to the station next to her.
"Hello. Nice little robot. Im sure our professor would love to know your building little toys instead of our assignment."
"Well who is going to tell him?"said Melody.
"Relax im just joking. My name is Joshua Ruben and yours young lady?"
"My name is Melody Sofia..the little robot maker"
"Nice. Maybe Ill see you around."

melodych1f
Melody didnt let being caught dissuade her. She continued and was successful. Hopefully her little brother will like her present.
melodych1g
Soon everyone was studying for the end of the freshman year. She couldnt wait until this year was over. She had grown up a lot but still didnt work up the nerve to ask anyone out. Mostly everyone was in their own social circle. Melody Sofia didnt really fit in anywhere but she did managed to join a research group. It happened by accident but she needed this group to understand some of her classes.
They met often to discuss class topics. Melody didnt remember when or how but all of a sudden she developed a crush on Corey Barett. They had several classes together but they only seemed to talk to each other during research. Melody wanted to get the courage to ask him out but the day she swore she was going to do it he brought another classmate over. She didnt even know her name. Yet she disliked her because it seemed that she too kept staring at Corey and giving Melody the evil eye! Not to worry one day she would get the courage to ask him out.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sophmore Year, 1st semester(narrated by Melody):
melodych1h
It funny how we never realize how things are improving while we do them. Now that im a sophmore I notice that my drawings are much better. Our professor lets us work more independently. I was leary of declaring my major but now I know that I want to be a city planner. In order for me to do that I need to declare a major in Economics. I guess you do need to know the financial aspect of the city before you plan there. After my sophomore year is complete I will go home and relax a bit with my family. They are thinking of moving but I hope they dont. I miss my old room. My little brother is getting bigger and I miss seeing him every day.
Photobucket
I finally got the nerve to talk to the counselor who after an hour told me that I was making the right choice. I cant believe that were free to do whatever we want except when it comes to our curriculum. I sat down stared at the screen and clicked yes when it said to declare my major. I looked through all the majors and finally found the one! Yes I am now finally an Economics major. Now how do I deal with all the math involved?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
melodych1k
"Ok you can do this.. you can do this" I didnt think that I could do it but I had to finally talk myself into asking Corey out. The girl that was always in our group finally disappeared. Needless to say I ran in here when I saw him out there studying alone. He saw me and asked if i wanted to join him. I certainly want to do that and more but first I had to freshen up. Im so nervous and I dont know what im going to say!
melodych1l
Corey is not that talkative. He is always talking about school. So I turned the conversation to dating.
"Have you dated much? It seems like your always studying"
"What? Oh dating? Well ya. Nancy and I have gone out a couple of times but right now my time is for study and play later. I dont want to be like those other people that choose to party all the time you know."
"Ya I know. I like studying but you also need to take some time for youself. For instance maybe we can head downtown to do some Karaoke or something?"
"Are you asking me out?"
"Me?... nooo I was just suggesting as friends" Melody replied feeling as though she was going to die.
"Well im kind of seeing Nancy. Sorry maybe next time we can all go out"
"um, sure why not" Before I could even embarrass myself more. I excused myself and ran to my room. I hate feeling this way. Corey is so cute for that ugly Nancy chick!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
melodych1m
Everyone was tense that finals were finally here and that everyone was cramming. I on the other hand was confident in passing my course work. I decided to take a breather from the library when I bumped into Joshua again. In truth I had forgotten his name but then he so lovingly reminded me.
"Hey robot girl. What are you doing?"
"Im taking a break"
"are you going home after finals."
"yes. Im so long overdue to visit my family"
"Thats cool. Listen how bout you and I have a cup of coffee sometime? I would like to get to know you other than being my 'robot girl'"
"Um, sure why not. I leave two days after finals."
"Ill look you up in the directory and give you a call. Good luck on your finals."
"you too Joshua... take care."
So this is how it was done? She only wished that Corey was this receptive when she asked him out. Yes yes..she denied that she was asking him out but what else could she do?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
melodych1n
A week later Joshua contacted Melody for the coffee he had asked her for. She had several messages from him on her machine but she was not quite ready for the coffee date. They met outside her dorm and she had to admit he looked better now that she was paying attention.
"Thanks for meeting me. I promise we will have fun".
"I hope so. I mean your just a jock right?"
"Touche..for the robot girl comment"
"alright well lets go shall we?"
melodych1o
Melody asked Joshua several questions to get to know him a little better.
"What are you majoring in?"
"I dont know yet. Im here on a football scholarship but I need to decide soon. I want to own my own business either a sports store or maybe even a music store. My parents are not to keen on that but hey ...we do what we have to do. How bout you?"
"Im an economics major and im hoping to leave here back to Viramontes and become a city planner."
"Wow it sounds like your life is pretty mapped."
"not really. i just like to know what im doing. I couldnt be like you. Were going to be Juniors and you havent declared. Time flies by quickly."
"I guess your right"
Melody sensed that there was tension. She didnt want to sound snobbish but she thought Joshua had things placed together more than he did now.
melodych1p
"How bout we get up and do some dancing? You do dance dont you?"
"Yes. Well I guess. I havent really danced with no one thats not my dad."
"Daddy's little girl huh?"
"Yup. Listen I think I better get going. Do you mind?"
"No. But hey just because I havent declared my major doesnt mean we cant go out again. Dont worry my gameplan is just as tight and organized and your mapped out life."
"My life is not that mapped out."
Joshua offered to walk Melody home but she declined. She just wanted to get back to her room and begin to pack things for her trip home.

melodych1r
My professor saw me at my old desk and was rather surprised.
"Your still here? I thought everyone abandons the buildings once grades are in."
"They do but I just wanted to perfect this one last detail before I resubmit my project"
"I think you will do fine. Listen Melody. I think that you will go far. Ill leave you alone to finish. Just place it on my desk. And Melody have a great break."
"thanks professor. You to."
* * *
I turned in my project headed back to the dorm looked at my semester grades and smiled when I saw that for my semester my grade was A+. Now she just had to get to the train station to catch a train to go home.

Authors Note:
Alright. I spent a little more time with Melody in college. I wanted to write a better story than her cousin Carson got. I dont know who her love interest is going to be. Will it be Corey or will it be Joshua? Or will she find someone new? I decided that since I will play her dad's house soon I might as well have her there on vacation for some time of that update.

No comments: